Munich has an extensive public transport system of trains, trams and buses connecting you to most of the city's places of interest. However, from time to time we understand that it's more convenient to travel by taxi.
Munich's taxis are cream coloured and have a TAXI sign on the roof. All of them use a taxi meter, and you can catch them either by flagging them down, waiting at a stop, or by calling them up in advance.
- Initial charge: € 3.70 (US$ 4.30)
- Price per kilometre up to 5 km: € 1.90 (US$ 2.20)
- Price per kilometre from 5 km to 10 km: € 1.70 (US$ 2)
- Price per kilometre after 10 km: € 1.60 (US$ 1.90)
- Price per hour of waiting: € 28 (US$ 32.80)
The average taxi journey around Munich city centre usually costs between € 10 (US$ 11.70) and € 12 (US$ 14.10). A taxi from the airport to the city centre is usually around € 50 (US$ 58.50) and the drive lasts about 40 minutes.
If you need to pre-book a taxi in Munich, or can't find one in the streets, we've listed three of the biggest taxi companies below. Like many other cities, Munich also has a number of taxi apps available to use.
- Taxi-München eG: +49 / (0)89/21 610.
- Taxi Zentrale Freising: +49 (0)8161 36 66.
- IsarFunk: +49 / (0)89/450540.